Skip to main content

Does religion sell us short?

Carl Sagan, the great astronomer and author, once said that religion “assumes that people are children and need a boogeyman so they’ll behave.” He believed that religion sells people short and diminishes their ability to solve their own problems.

There is truth in that. I find myself strongly in agreement with him.

I grew up in the church. I wanted to be a professional baseball player or a broadcast journalist but I ended up being a Christian minister instead. A lot of it was because my parents instilled in me the notion that service to God was the highest calling available. They were deeply religious and it was difficult to ever get away from the idea that nothing much mattered except a life of devotion to the church.

I spent 22 years in active ministry—preaching, teaching, writing, studying, digging into the Bible for answers to life, wrestling with the very conservative beliefs of my denomination, questioning hell and sin and judgment, reading the classical theologians, trying desperately to understand suffering in the world and where the heck God really was in all of that.

I do not believe people are born into sin. What a horrible, cruel thing to teach people. You come into this world with all of the beauty and gifts of life and the first thing you’re told by the church is you’re evil, that you have a sinful nature, and that you are doomed to burn in hell forever. Your only hope is salvation in Christ, baptism, the Sacraments, Confession, Communion, following every word of a human Bible as though it is some perfect magical book.

None of that ever made any sense to me. I tried like crazy at first to believe it, to make it a part of my religious experience, to live by it, and to get others to believe it too. But after a few years on the battle field that is church, and seeing the very real struggles of the people in my congregations in spite of their faith, I finally gave up. I was a sort of closet humanist for years trying to fit Christianity into that. Surprisingly it worked in many ways. I found a comfort and strength in the theology and philosophy of ministry I pieced together. It was not orthodox but it was mine and I could live by it with integrity.

I didn’t try to fool people. I spoke openly of my spiritual frustrations, my ongoing argument with established religion, with denominational politics, with narrow-mindedness, with the holier-than-thou thing that church too often creates, and with a whole lot that was in the Bible. Some people stayed furious with me. Some were tolerant. And some totally identified and wanted to know more of what I meant by what I said from the pulpit or in small group discussions.

Why do we need a severe, temperamental God who will punish us in some way—give us cancer or take away a child or ruin our business or burn us in hell—if we don’t follow his way? Are we really that terrible as human beings?

I am convinced all of that is totally man-made and it has damaged most of the great religions of history, not to mention the terror and suffering it has caused sincere believers over the years.

If we have to believe in and follow a God of threatening judgment and punishment in order to be religious or Christian then I agree with Carl Sagan: that seems to make us unruly children in need of endless correction. It does sell us short and implies that without God we are not capable of living good and responsible lives.

Religion, and for me, Christianity, since that is what I know most about, should help its followers experience life that feels good, that is worthwhile, that has value and is involved in making the world better. We should not be motivated to good living out of shame, guilt, or fear.

Faith should encourage people to understand and develop the goodness they are born with. Not doom them with the idea that they are worthless and wicked and need God in them in order to be of any use to themselves or others.

I see God cheering us on from the outside, affirming the gifts we already possess, and guiding us to make use of who we are always becoming.

The Greeks had this idea of “magna anima” or the “great soul.” It’s where the word “magnanimous” comes from—benevolent, kind-hearted, unselfish, and loving. That is what religion ought to guide us into. Not feelings of inadequacy, personal disgrace, and humiliation.

We are all imperfect, yes. But we are all born worthy of receiving and giving love, worthy of belonging, and worthy of helpfulness to others. These are original instincts and gifts. And to believe in them can be a very real and legitimate religious impulse worth following.

© 2012 Timothy Moody

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Made for Human Connection

There are words from Brandi Carlile’s song, “The Story,” that I might sing, and perhaps you, too. “All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many stories of where I've been And how I got to where I am But these stories don't mean anything When you've got no one to tell them to” You don’t have to be single or alone to feel the depth of those words. Someone in a longtime marriage or relationship might feel them, too. The voyage through life takes each one of us through an assortment of experiences. Some of them ennoble us. Some crush us. Some lift us beyond ourselves and carry us into the lives of those who need us. And some carry us to those we need. Some experiences are burdens. Others ease and encourage us. Some leave us baffled and unsure. Some build confidence within us and are so affirming that we grow in substance, in courage, in tenderness, and sympathy. As we age, the lines in our faces can represent the hurts we have not yet resolved. Or t

If I had five minutes to evacuate--what would I take with me?

If I was told there was a bomb in my building and I had five minutes to evacuate my apartment I’d grab a grocery bag and quickly toss these items into it: 1. A photo of my grandparents, Mom and Pop and me, when I was 15 years old. I learned what love is made of from them. I learned what it is to be kissed on and hugged in arms so tender they felt like God’s arms. I discovered self worth from those two angels in human flesh. Of all the people in my life, they were the ones who made me feel I counted. Honestly, whatever capacity I have to love others came from them. 2. A sentimental, dog-eared, stars in the margin copy of Pat Conroy’s, “The Prince of Tides.” It is a book I have read three times and often return to for its wisdom. It is a harsh, profoundly tragic novel, the story of a family so broken and tortured by such flawed and wounded people that it is sometimes difficult to turn the next page. And yet it is the story of such Herculean courage and endurance that you want

Remembering Dr. Bill Craig

In Memoriam  Dr. Bill Craig January 1, 2020 In the Hebrew Bible, we see from the life of Moses, and the Psalmist, Isaiah and others , concern for the problem of living rather than the problem of dying.   Their primary interest was not how to escape death, but rather, how to sanctify life. Bill modeled that kind of wisdom.  The brilliant novelist Louis L'Amour, who wrote bestselling books about the American West, what he called “frontier stories,” basically said the same thing. He wrote, “The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.” No one attempted to sanctify life and get more out of the trail than Bill Craig. He was a deep thinker, a gifted veterinarian, a rugged and unbreakable man with the kindest heart and the purest motives.  He was a loving and devoted husband, father, and grandfather. Karen, Shalor and Melissa, Kellan, Nolan and Carter, were his world. They meant everything to him. I guess he had faults, but I don’t remember any of them.  There was o