Wednesday, February 12, 2014

For My Grandson Austin: Happy Birthday, Buddy!



Can you be 3?

What space ship did time travel in
to speed you to this age?

How quickly you have grown with
your red hair no longer wild
in its babyish play but
now sitting so poised on
your beautiful boy head

I remember seeing you crawl in
your other house as you made your
way to the toy chest where
you seemed so small

But now you run tall with the wind and
whiz past me trailing giggles and
joy and leaving a presence that fills the
room and my heart

It is clear that at age 3 you
are comfortable in your big boyishness
with a smile that radiates a
love of yourself and others and
says, Hey, life is sweet!

My space ship is going fast too and
I want it to slow down a little so
I can catch up with all those
years coming when you and I can
swim in the ocean together and
walk the beach and laugh and
talk just you and me


© 2014 Timothy Moody

No comments:

Post a Comment