Skip to main content

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I saw “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” over the holidays. I had already seen the original Swedish movie. In fact, I’ve seen all three of the Swedish films and they are all terrific.

The English version of the first one is equally good. I liked Daniel Craig as Mikael Bloomkvist, the intrepid journalist and owner of Millenium magazine, a magazine that gets at the truth of things and exposes all of those nasty realities that most people don’t want to read about, like corrupt politicians and corporations and how they destroy people.

I thought Rooney Mara, who plays Lisbeth Salandar, the genius geek and computer hacker who is not to be messed with, was excellent. I didn’t think there was any way she could be as good as the original Lisbeth played by actress Noomie Rapace who is in the latest Sherlock Holmes movie. But Mara held her own.

The story is complicated and filled with endless fascinating details but basically Bloomkvist and Lisbeth eventually team up to try and find out what happened to a girl who went missing forty years ago.

The movies in this trilogy are based on Swedish novelist Stieg Larsson’s books. Larsson was a brilliant story teller with complex plots and themes. Unfortunately he died of a heart attack before he ever saw the popularity of the three books he wrote about Bloomkvist and Lisbeth.

The English version of the original movie captures all of the same dark horrors of human evil, rage, courage, and endurance. Even though it is fiction you cannot watch this movie and not be reminded that people are capable of doing the most hideous things to each other. There are scenes that will remind you of Nietzsche’s famous dictum: “Man is the cruelest animal.”

But there runs through the whole movie the hope of humanity, that people can recover from terrible abuses, transcend their psychic pain, and do good things and be good people.

Lisbeth Salandar possesses a grisly past and permanent inner wounds. She is terribly flawed as anyone who has been through her torment would be. She is vengeful and rightfully so. But underneath her Gothic, cold, impenetrable outer shell resides not an empty self but someone so in need of love and human warmth.

In time she discovers the secret to accepting herself and life.

Whatever it is that you find to make you loving—religion, Zen, Karma, science, your child or children, your spouse, or lover, your parents, your best friend, romance novels, or your own self creed—whatever or whomever it is that inspires you to love, that is what will enable you to survive life.

A girl with a dragon tattoo and a beat up and disgraced journalist who come to believe in each other, share their vulnerabilities, open their hearts, and protect one another, learn their own lessons of survival in this sometimes brutal world.

See this movie.

© 2012 Timothy Moody

Comments

  1. I loved the novels, but I have not seen any of the movies. I see them as a window into the modern European soul. They are much more accepting of the realities of mankind than we are, and much more aware of the necessity to find strength and morality within ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Anonymous. I totally agree that Europeans are much more in touch with what is really going on life. And yes, inner strength, as demonstrated by these fictional characters, is what carries across all those finish lines we often face.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should be...carries us across all those finish lines...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

We are Made for Human Connection

There are words from Brandi Carlile’s song, “The Story,” that I might sing, and perhaps you, too. “All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many stories of where I've been And how I got to where I am But these stories don't mean anything When you've got no one to tell them to” You don’t have to be single or alone to feel the depth of those words. Someone in a longtime marriage or relationship might feel them, too. The voyage through life takes each one of us through an assortment of experiences. Some of them ennoble us. Some crush us. Some lift us beyond ourselves and carry us into the lives of those who need us. And some carry us to those we need. Some experiences are burdens. Others ease and encourage us. Some leave us baffled and unsure. Some build confidence within us and are so affirming that we grow in substance, in courage, in tenderness, and sympathy. As we age, the lines in our faces can represent the hurts we have not yet resolved. Or t

If I had five minutes to evacuate--what would I take with me?

If I was told there was a bomb in my building and I had five minutes to evacuate my apartment I’d grab a grocery bag and quickly toss these items into it: 1. A photo of my grandparents, Mom and Pop and me, when I was 15 years old. I learned what love is made of from them. I learned what it is to be kissed on and hugged in arms so tender they felt like God’s arms. I discovered self worth from those two angels in human flesh. Of all the people in my life, they were the ones who made me feel I counted. Honestly, whatever capacity I have to love others came from them. 2. A sentimental, dog-eared, stars in the margin copy of Pat Conroy’s, “The Prince of Tides.” It is a book I have read three times and often return to for its wisdom. It is a harsh, profoundly tragic novel, the story of a family so broken and tortured by such flawed and wounded people that it is sometimes difficult to turn the next page. And yet it is the story of such Herculean courage and endurance that you want

Remembering Dr. Bill Craig

In Memoriam  Dr. Bill Craig January 1, 2020 In the Hebrew Bible, we see from the life of Moses, and the Psalmist, Isaiah and others , concern for the problem of living rather than the problem of dying.   Their primary interest was not how to escape death, but rather, how to sanctify life. Bill modeled that kind of wisdom.  The brilliant novelist Louis L'Amour, who wrote bestselling books about the American West, what he called “frontier stories,” basically said the same thing. He wrote, “The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.” No one attempted to sanctify life and get more out of the trail than Bill Craig. He was a deep thinker, a gifted veterinarian, a rugged and unbreakable man with the kindest heart and the purest motives.  He was a loving and devoted husband, father, and grandfather. Karen, Shalor and Melissa, Kellan, Nolan and Carter, were his world. They meant everything to him. I guess he had faults, but I don’t remember any of them.  There was o