Skip to main content

An important message from a bird

While looking out my office window the other day a Cardinal landed very gracefully on my window sill. Dressed in its flaming red feathers with its black mask around its face it just sat there staring at me. I waited for it to say something.

Most birds bob their heads around in a kind of jerky way looking up and down and around. But this one kept its head very still and just looked right at me. It seemed very intent as though it was bringing me a message. I couldn’t help thinking: what a majestic creature. I said hello and it flew away.

Only the male Cardinal is covered in brilliant red. The female wears a very fashionable tan and gray and they are beautiful, too.

Cardinals are considered songbirds because they love to sing. They are very social, too, and are often found in groups of other birds different from their own species. I guess that striking color gives them a sense of presence. Like one of those people who always seems to fit in any crowd.

I suppose it would be nice to have a new BMW Z4 Roadster pull up outside my window with my name on it. But instead, I received something more realistic and more profound; a Cardinal’s brief visit. And honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed that momentary burst of color and grandeur.

I suddenly thought of the times I hurry through the day with my head buried in distractions and I wondered how often I simply miss these happy evidences of life’s endless attractions? Have you seen a Cardinal lately? It is gorgeous. How sterile life would be without such things.

The Cardinal’s visit was truly a serendipitous moment.

Ser-en-dip-i-tous: [ser-uhn-dip-i-tuhs]
1. come upon or found by accident; fortuitous

It seems to me the universe is often speaking to us, sending us little messages, waving colorful flags at us like parking attendant guys trying to get us to pull into their space.

I think it is forever creating coincidences and serendipitous moments in order to get our attention. We miss so much if we stay too busy to be aware of all the small miracles parading about us each day.

If I had kept at my computer and not taken a moment to relax, to look out the window, the Cardinal would have come and gone without me ever knowing it. I wonder what I miss when I’m not taking time to pause now and then to look around; what tiny surprises, what momentary astonishments have passed me by?

There is a fierce wild beauty in nature that can escape us if we’re not attentive. I think God must have had all of this in mind when everything was put together. There needed to be some balance to all of the ugliness we human creatures carelessly inflict on our delicate world, and, too often on one another.

Poet and novelist Wendell Berry has in one of his books this wise reflection:

“When despair for the world grows in me and I wake in the night at the least sound in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be, I go and lie down where the wood drake rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds. I come into the peace of wild things who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief. I come into the presence of still water. And I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting with their light. For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.”

That, I think, just may have been my message from the Cardinal. He was saying; Don’t forget to be on the lookout for me and other small wonders waiting to bring you a moment of inner calm, comfort, solidarity with nature, and a lingering presence of something unsurpassable.

© 2012 Timothy Moody

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Made for Human Connection

There are words from Brandi Carlile’s song, “The Story,” that I might sing, and perhaps you, too. “All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many stories of where I've been And how I got to where I am But these stories don't mean anything When you've got no one to tell them to” You don’t have to be single or alone to feel the depth of those words. Someone in a longtime marriage or relationship might feel them, too. The voyage through life takes each one of us through an assortment of experiences. Some of them ennoble us. Some crush us. Some lift us beyond ourselves and carry us into the lives of those who need us. And some carry us to those we need. Some experiences are burdens. Others ease and encourage us. Some leave us baffled and unsure. Some build confidence within us and are so affirming that we grow in substance, in courage, in tenderness, and sympathy. As we age, the lines in our faces can represent the hurts we have not yet resolved. Or t

If I had five minutes to evacuate--what would I take with me?

If I was told there was a bomb in my building and I had five minutes to evacuate my apartment I’d grab a grocery bag and quickly toss these items into it: 1. A photo of my grandparents, Mom and Pop and me, when I was 15 years old. I learned what love is made of from them. I learned what it is to be kissed on and hugged in arms so tender they felt like God’s arms. I discovered self worth from those two angels in human flesh. Of all the people in my life, they were the ones who made me feel I counted. Honestly, whatever capacity I have to love others came from them. 2. A sentimental, dog-eared, stars in the margin copy of Pat Conroy’s, “The Prince of Tides.” It is a book I have read three times and often return to for its wisdom. It is a harsh, profoundly tragic novel, the story of a family so broken and tortured by such flawed and wounded people that it is sometimes difficult to turn the next page. And yet it is the story of such Herculean courage and endurance that you want

Remembering Dr. Bill Craig

In Memoriam  Dr. Bill Craig January 1, 2020 In the Hebrew Bible, we see from the life of Moses, and the Psalmist, Isaiah and others , concern for the problem of living rather than the problem of dying.   Their primary interest was not how to escape death, but rather, how to sanctify life. Bill modeled that kind of wisdom.  The brilliant novelist Louis L'Amour, who wrote bestselling books about the American West, what he called “frontier stories,” basically said the same thing. He wrote, “The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.” No one attempted to sanctify life and get more out of the trail than Bill Craig. He was a deep thinker, a gifted veterinarian, a rugged and unbreakable man with the kindest heart and the purest motives.  He was a loving and devoted husband, father, and grandfather. Karen, Shalor and Melissa, Kellan, Nolan and Carter, were his world. They meant everything to him. I guess he had faults, but I don’t remember any of them.  There was o