Skip to main content

The world as we have created it

I was watching these beautiful young people from Greece being interviewed on the news the other night. They were so bright and articulate and attractive, so full of life in the midst of the harsh austerity measures and turmoil going on in their country. They seemed caught in looks of not exactly fear but of hesitation, of simply not being sure what will be next for them.

The world is going through a turbulent time of change and transition. So much of Europe is caught in furious winds of upheaval. The economies of Greece, Germany, England, Italy, and others are, like our own, shaky and unpredictable at the moment. We’re all facing enormous challenges.

People in countries like Egypt, Syria, Russia, and Libya are demanding a new way of life. The past for them is obsolete, intolerable. They want more freedom, a fairer economy, cultural renewal, and a political system that is open and without the domination of cruel and corrupt dictators and demagogues.

Africa, in spite of small signs of reform in certain places, is still a vast country of war, famine, poverty, political exploitation and brutality. The voices there are often silenced by an impenetrable wall of indifference from the rest of the world.

There is a very real, very palpable longing in people all over the world today for life experiences that transcend the difficult circumstances of their lives. And there seems to be a cry everywhere for brotherhood, for mutual understanding and solidarity.

We focus so often on all of the things that divide us from others. There is especially a fear of religious tolerance in our world. Why are we all so worried about how other people in the world worship? Or who they worship? Shouldn’t religion pull us together on some important level? Shouldn’t our faith cause us to be understanding of others, to respect the right of people to choose whatever expression of faith strengthens and sustains them?

I like the European Union’s motto: “United in Diversity.” Why can’t we all support that effort? It seems to me as though that would be the perfect approach for all religious groups in the world today.

All of this talk in our country about going to war with Iran. Does that bother anyone besides me? What are we thinking? Honestly. What’s wrong with us?

I understand all of the hype about Iran developing a nuclear weapon and so forth. But why is Iran not permitted to defend herself? Israel has hundreds of nuclear weapons. Pakistan and India have them. Russia of course has them. And we have enough of them to destroy the entire world many times over and we’re developing new ones.

I find a disturbing sense of arrogance in that. It seems like a very real abuse of power on our part. Of course people will say we are just defending ourselves? Really? Iran has not declared war on us.

It seems more like we use threats to control the destiny of other countries. Who gave us that authority?

“The world as we have created it,” wrote Einstein “is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.”

Shouldn’t we be further along in our thinking about the world today? Isn’t it time we worked as hard and spent as much money on peace, cooperation, understanding and unity with other nations as we do on aggression, threats, and war?

I don’t know a single one of those lovely young people in Greece I saw on the news the other night. But I somehow feel linked to them. I want their economy to survive; their country to make it. I want that for Iran and all the other nations of the world, too.

What is so wrong with that?

© 2012 Timothy Moody

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Made for Human Connection

There are words from Brandi Carlile’s song, “The Story,” that I might sing, and perhaps you, too. “All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many stories of where I've been And how I got to where I am But these stories don't mean anything When you've got no one to tell them to” You don’t have to be single or alone to feel the depth of those words. Someone in a longtime marriage or relationship might feel them, too. The voyage through life takes each one of us through an assortment of experiences. Some of them ennoble us. Some crush us. Some lift us beyond ourselves and carry us into the lives of those who need us. And some carry us to those we need. Some experiences are burdens. Others ease and encourage us. Some leave us baffled and unsure. Some build confidence within us and are so affirming that we grow in substance, in courage, in tenderness, and sympathy. As we age, the lines in our faces can represent the hurts we have not yet resolved. Or t

If I had five minutes to evacuate--what would I take with me?

If I was told there was a bomb in my building and I had five minutes to evacuate my apartment I’d grab a grocery bag and quickly toss these items into it: 1. A photo of my grandparents, Mom and Pop and me, when I was 15 years old. I learned what love is made of from them. I learned what it is to be kissed on and hugged in arms so tender they felt like God’s arms. I discovered self worth from those two angels in human flesh. Of all the people in my life, they were the ones who made me feel I counted. Honestly, whatever capacity I have to love others came from them. 2. A sentimental, dog-eared, stars in the margin copy of Pat Conroy’s, “The Prince of Tides.” It is a book I have read three times and often return to for its wisdom. It is a harsh, profoundly tragic novel, the story of a family so broken and tortured by such flawed and wounded people that it is sometimes difficult to turn the next page. And yet it is the story of such Herculean courage and endurance that you want

Remembering Dr. Bill Craig

In Memoriam  Dr. Bill Craig January 1, 2020 In the Hebrew Bible, we see from the life of Moses, and the Psalmist, Isaiah and others , concern for the problem of living rather than the problem of dying.   Their primary interest was not how to escape death, but rather, how to sanctify life. Bill modeled that kind of wisdom.  The brilliant novelist Louis L'Amour, who wrote bestselling books about the American West, what he called “frontier stories,” basically said the same thing. He wrote, “The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.” No one attempted to sanctify life and get more out of the trail than Bill Craig. He was a deep thinker, a gifted veterinarian, a rugged and unbreakable man with the kindest heart and the purest motives.  He was a loving and devoted husband, father, and grandfather. Karen, Shalor and Melissa, Kellan, Nolan and Carter, were his world. They meant everything to him. I guess he had faults, but I don’t remember any of them.  There was o