Skip to main content

Thoughts from a Cancer Survivor



Guest Post
By Heather Von St. James
Courageous mother, wife, writer and cancer survivor


My First Year of Motherhood and My Battle with Mesothelioma

My first year of motherhood was an amazing prospect.  My friends and family reminded me that it would take a village to raise my child, but I had no idea just how true this was.  Neither did I realize just how important my village would become.  

I gave birth to Lily on August 4, 2005.  The emergency C-section was the only complication of the entire pregnancy, but holding my daughter was worth it.  My own village quickly surrounded me, and things were wonderful.  I expected that my recovery from the C-section would be a little challenging, but when I returned to work two months later, I was still very fatigued.  I was also breathless and this really disturbed me.  

I made an appointment with my doctor.  After a battery of tests, he found the problem.  A diagnosis of malignant pleural mesothelioma stunned me.  Asbestos exposure is usually the cause of this deadly disease and I had been exposed during my childhood 30 years earlier.  Without treatment I could expect to live 15 months at most.  I wasn’t about to settle for that and my husband and I made plans to pursue the most drastic treatment for mesothelioma possible.

We left Lily with my parents in my childhood home of South Dakota and then flew to Boston.  On February 2, 2006, my left lung was removed by one of the best mesothelioma doctors available.  I had a great support team in the hospital.  An 18 day recovery in the hospital was followed by a 2 month recovery period at home. Then came chemotherapy and radiation. It was hard, but I was battling on behalf of Lily and my husband. Easy wasn’t promised and we took every day in stride.

My parents’ village was right there to help.  Some friends filled in as babysitters as my parents worked full-time.  Others provided meals and moral support.  Some that we might have expected to help were noticeably absent.  It’s strange that cancer has such a varied effect on people.  My parents kept me posted on Lily’s progress by sending pictures and updates.  She learned a lot in our absence and I missed her desperately. I didn’t want to miss seeing her grow up, though, and I knew that this was the best effort I could make in order to be there in her future.  

I will always be thankful for my village and its influence during this time.  My nurses supported me during my treatment.  My friends and family supported from a distance.  My husband and I couldn’t have managed without any of them.  We have grown so much because of this challenge and it has made us stronger in ways that we never would have imagined.  Having Lily back with us after the treatment was amazing.  

Life is precious because it is fragile.  In times of need, having a village can make a difference in making it possible to overcome obstacles.  Embracing struggles and victories is important and having a support system makes a world of difference.  Be thankful for your own village and be sure to thank them when they are there for you.

Heather Von St James is a 43-year-old wife and mother. Upon her diagnosis of mesothelioma, she vowed to be a source of hope for other patients who found themselves with the same diagnosis. Now, over 6 years later, her story has been helping people all over the globe. She continues her advocacy and awareness work by blogging, speaking and sharing her message of hope and healing with others. Check out her story at theMesothelioma Cancer Alliance Blog.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Made for Human Connection

There are words from Brandi Carlile’s song, “The Story,” that I might sing, and perhaps you, too. “All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many stories of where I've been And how I got to where I am But these stories don't mean anything When you've got no one to tell them to” You don’t have to be single or alone to feel the depth of those words. Someone in a longtime marriage or relationship might feel them, too. The voyage through life takes each one of us through an assortment of experiences. Some of them ennoble us. Some crush us. Some lift us beyond ourselves and carry us into the lives of those who need us. And some carry us to those we need. Some experiences are burdens. Others ease and encourage us. Some leave us baffled and unsure. Some build confidence within us and are so affirming that we grow in substance, in courage, in tenderness, and sympathy. As we age, the lines in our faces can represent the hurts we have not yet resolved. Or t

If I had five minutes to evacuate--what would I take with me?

If I was told there was a bomb in my building and I had five minutes to evacuate my apartment I’d grab a grocery bag and quickly toss these items into it: 1. A photo of my grandparents, Mom and Pop and me, when I was 15 years old. I learned what love is made of from them. I learned what it is to be kissed on and hugged in arms so tender they felt like God’s arms. I discovered self worth from those two angels in human flesh. Of all the people in my life, they were the ones who made me feel I counted. Honestly, whatever capacity I have to love others came from them. 2. A sentimental, dog-eared, stars in the margin copy of Pat Conroy’s, “The Prince of Tides.” It is a book I have read three times and often return to for its wisdom. It is a harsh, profoundly tragic novel, the story of a family so broken and tortured by such flawed and wounded people that it is sometimes difficult to turn the next page. And yet it is the story of such Herculean courage and endurance that you want

Remembering Dr. Bill Craig

In Memoriam  Dr. Bill Craig January 1, 2020 In the Hebrew Bible, we see from the life of Moses, and the Psalmist, Isaiah and others , concern for the problem of living rather than the problem of dying.   Their primary interest was not how to escape death, but rather, how to sanctify life. Bill modeled that kind of wisdom.  The brilliant novelist Louis L'Amour, who wrote bestselling books about the American West, what he called “frontier stories,” basically said the same thing. He wrote, “The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.” No one attempted to sanctify life and get more out of the trail than Bill Craig. He was a deep thinker, a gifted veterinarian, a rugged and unbreakable man with the kindest heart and the purest motives.  He was a loving and devoted husband, father, and grandfather. Karen, Shalor and Melissa, Kellan, Nolan and Carter, were his world. They meant everything to him. I guess he had faults, but I don’t remember any of them.  There was o