Skip to main content

We Never Lose Our Demons

I am making my way through the AMC Mad Men series. I saw the original series when it first came out almost ten years ago. Now I’m watching it again on Netflix.

I knew what I was in for. Since the presidential election I have been trying to better understand myself, others, and my country. The ugly bitterness of the election left me emotionally exhausted, and frankly, disappointed in people in general. I didn’t follow the chaos on Twitter, but Facebook was a primeval jungle of crude squabbling, angry rants, malicious name calling, and endless acts of blocking and unfriending people. Some of them relatives and close friends.

So after all of that, I decided to wander into Mad Men, the perfect setting for seeing the absolute worst in human hurt, pettiness, jealously, manipulation and betrayal. I thought that there, I might get some understanding of why, in certain circumstances, we sink, almost unconsciously and hopelessly, into such abysmal and damaging behavior.

Don Draper, the brilliant ad man for the Sterling and Cooper Advertising Agency, is a man tormented by his past, by cruel parents, and by the numbing ravages of war that often deeply scar individual soldiers for life.

When we are not loved, when we feel our worth threatened in some profoundly personal way, we survive on primal instincts that are not always in our own best interest or in the best interest of others. When we are faced with catastrophic experiences, and left to make questionable moral choices, choices that may destroy us at the core of ourselves but may also keep us alive, we make them anyway. Don Draper lives in this kind of compromising and alarming world inside himself. And it leaves him coldly indifferent to others while also being driven by passions and desires he will not or cannot control. Men fear, are jealous of, and often hate him. Women are caught in his web of manliness, his intellect, his power as a driven and successful professional. He’s polished, urbane, and handsome. Tall and well put together he attracts women, many of them ambitious and beautiful, but also vulnerable in certain ways, and in the end he breaks something good and decent inside them. Underneath his thinly held together sophistication lie shadowy, foreboding forces that eat away his humanity and keep him miserable.

He is, I think, an example of many if not most of us. If we have suffered some deep emotional injury, in our childhood, adolescence, or as adults, we identify with Don Draper. Our inner wounds always keep us in some kind of emotional conflict and we can either deal with them in healthy and responsible ways or we can ignore the pain, attempt to deaden it, or turn angry and bitter because of it.

The recent presidential election left the country facing things about ourselves that we don’t like. Perhaps in its raw repulsiveness it reminded us that we are all capable of just about anything. Candidates, media, and the rest of us.

In the movie, “Dr. Strange,” a highly successful surgeon is severely damaged in a car accident. His hands are ruined and his career seems over. He is left bitterly despondent but determined to get well. After a series of strange incidents he meets a sorcerer named Mordo who is rigidly committed to laws and codes that he says must be followed. Dr. Strange wants outside of those in order to find some way of transformation. Eventually he meets the Ancient One, a wise and mystical woman who understands Dr. Strange’s suffering. Mordo tells Dr. Strange to simply accept his fate, to follow the rules, and that is how he will rid himself of his demons.  But the Ancient One says, “We never lose our demons; we only learn to live above them.”

This is the lesson Don Draper is destined to grapple with. His demons have gotten the best of him and he wants some resolution to his brokenness. It is the lesson we all have to eventually learn.

I have realized recently that in spite of the goodness in people, there are dark forces in all of us that are simply a part of our unfinished humanity. We are always, hopefully, striving to complete ourselves. It is a lifelong effort.

Buddhism teaches us that life is a collection of moments. Some good, some bad, some horrible. The goal is to free ourselves from attachment to any specific moment; to finally understand they all matter to make us who we are.

Don Draper eventually figures this out. So does Dr. Strange. Hopefully, the rest of us will as well. Perhaps the election, with all of its messiness, will be a catalyst to get us there.


© 2016 Timothy Moody

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Made for Human Connection

There are words from Brandi Carlile’s song, “The Story,” that I might sing, and perhaps you, too. “All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many stories of where I've been And how I got to where I am But these stories don't mean anything When you've got no one to tell them to” You don’t have to be single or alone to feel the depth of those words. Someone in a longtime marriage or relationship might feel them, too. The voyage through life takes each one of us through an assortment of experiences. Some of them ennoble us. Some crush us. Some lift us beyond ourselves and carry us into the lives of those who need us. And some carry us to those we need. Some experiences are burdens. Others ease and encourage us. Some leave us baffled and unsure. Some build confidence within us and are so affirming that we grow in substance, in courage, in tenderness, and sympathy. As we age, the lines in our faces can represent the hurts we have not yet resolved. Or t

If I had five minutes to evacuate--what would I take with me?

If I was told there was a bomb in my building and I had five minutes to evacuate my apartment I’d grab a grocery bag and quickly toss these items into it: 1. A photo of my grandparents, Mom and Pop and me, when I was 15 years old. I learned what love is made of from them. I learned what it is to be kissed on and hugged in arms so tender they felt like God’s arms. I discovered self worth from those two angels in human flesh. Of all the people in my life, they were the ones who made me feel I counted. Honestly, whatever capacity I have to love others came from them. 2. A sentimental, dog-eared, stars in the margin copy of Pat Conroy’s, “The Prince of Tides.” It is a book I have read three times and often return to for its wisdom. It is a harsh, profoundly tragic novel, the story of a family so broken and tortured by such flawed and wounded people that it is sometimes difficult to turn the next page. And yet it is the story of such Herculean courage and endurance that you want

Remembering Dr. Bill Craig

In Memoriam  Dr. Bill Craig January 1, 2020 In the Hebrew Bible, we see from the life of Moses, and the Psalmist, Isaiah and others , concern for the problem of living rather than the problem of dying.   Their primary interest was not how to escape death, but rather, how to sanctify life. Bill modeled that kind of wisdom.  The brilliant novelist Louis L'Amour, who wrote bestselling books about the American West, what he called “frontier stories,” basically said the same thing. He wrote, “The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.” No one attempted to sanctify life and get more out of the trail than Bill Craig. He was a deep thinker, a gifted veterinarian, a rugged and unbreakable man with the kindest heart and the purest motives.  He was a loving and devoted husband, father, and grandfather. Karen, Shalor and Melissa, Kellan, Nolan and Carter, were his world. They meant everything to him. I guess he had faults, but I don’t remember any of them.  There was o