Skip to main content

Christianity and the Church are dying

For as long as I can remember Christianity has been in conflict with itself. I grew up a Southern Baptist and I was never encouraged to respect or trust other Christian denominations. The Methodists and Presbyterians were both liberal and didn’t really believe the Bible. The Lutherans were started by Martin Luther and somehow that meant they weren’t really legitimate. They followed a man instead of Christ. The Catholics weren’t really even Christians because they believed in and prayed to Mary, and their priests heard their confessions and offered them absolution, not Jesus. Of course in the Baptist Church you just walked down the aisle at the end of the church service and told the preacher you were sorry for something you did wrong that day or during the past week. He prayed with you. You asked God for forgiveness. And all was well. What the hell difference was there in that and what the Catholics did? I had no idea. Then or now. And the Episcopalians were just a step down from the Catholics so they were off limits as well.

I remember when I was a sophomore in high school I liked this cute little girl who was a member of the Church of Christ. I was not allowed to attend her church and she was not allowed to attend mine. Now wasn’t that a nice way to teach teens about God? My parents said the Church of Christ believed you had to be baptized in order to be saved. I never understood why in the world we were called Baptists, which comes from the word “baptize” and yet we had nothing to do with Christians who believed in baptism for salvation.

No one was really going to heaven except Southern Baptists. That’s what I was told. And my little girlfriend’s church told her no one was going to heaven except those in The Church of Christ.

After all these years of bickering with one another instead of working together, cooperating, respecting each other’s commitment to a spiritual experience of faith and a love for Christ, the Christian Church is dying in America.

It is dying of greed and this awful “prosperity gospel” that is circus barked daily on television. It is dying of indifference to the real needs of people. While the Church schmoozes in politics and obsesses over power, people in addictions, grief, brokenness, despair, and pain are ignored. It is dying of irrelevance. What does the Church offer today but trite slogans and happy talk; or worse, bigotry and intolerance.

Recently, a Free Will Baptist Church in Kentucky set a policy in their church that states no interracial couples are allowed to participate. They are not welcome there. Robert Jeffress, pastor of the giant First Baptist Church of Dallas, was on national television a month ago saying Mitt Romney is not a viable presidential candidate because he belongs to the Mormon Church which Jeffress called a cult and Romney "not a real Christian."

This is why Christianity and the Church are dying. Instead of inclusiveness there is rejection. Instead of grace there are rules of intolerance. Instead of compassion there is indifference. Instead of generosity of spirit and life there is selfishness and elitism and owning truth not possessed by any other expression of faith. Instead of humility there is arrogance and self-righteousness.

Gandhi once said that God has no religion. Too bad his followers haven't realized that or refuse to believe it. Until we do, Christianity looks doomed.

© 2011 Timothy Moody

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Made for Human Connection

There are words from Brandi Carlile’s song, “The Story,” that I might sing, and perhaps you, too. “All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many stories of where I've been And how I got to where I am But these stories don't mean anything When you've got no one to tell them to” You don’t have to be single or alone to feel the depth of those words. Someone in a longtime marriage or relationship might feel them, too. The voyage through life takes each one of us through an assortment of experiences. Some of them ennoble us. Some crush us. Some lift us beyond ourselves and carry us into the lives of those who need us. And some carry us to those we need. Some experiences are burdens. Others ease and encourage us. Some leave us baffled and unsure. Some build confidence within us and are so affirming that we grow in substance, in courage, in tenderness, and sympathy. As we age, the lines in our faces can represent the hurts we have not yet resolved. Or t

If I had five minutes to evacuate--what would I take with me?

If I was told there was a bomb in my building and I had five minutes to evacuate my apartment I’d grab a grocery bag and quickly toss these items into it: 1. A photo of my grandparents, Mom and Pop and me, when I was 15 years old. I learned what love is made of from them. I learned what it is to be kissed on and hugged in arms so tender they felt like God’s arms. I discovered self worth from those two angels in human flesh. Of all the people in my life, they were the ones who made me feel I counted. Honestly, whatever capacity I have to love others came from them. 2. A sentimental, dog-eared, stars in the margin copy of Pat Conroy’s, “The Prince of Tides.” It is a book I have read three times and often return to for its wisdom. It is a harsh, profoundly tragic novel, the story of a family so broken and tortured by such flawed and wounded people that it is sometimes difficult to turn the next page. And yet it is the story of such Herculean courage and endurance that you want

Remembering Dr. Bill Craig

In Memoriam  Dr. Bill Craig January 1, 2020 In the Hebrew Bible, we see from the life of Moses, and the Psalmist, Isaiah and others , concern for the problem of living rather than the problem of dying.   Their primary interest was not how to escape death, but rather, how to sanctify life. Bill modeled that kind of wisdom.  The brilliant novelist Louis L'Amour, who wrote bestselling books about the American West, what he called “frontier stories,” basically said the same thing. He wrote, “The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.” No one attempted to sanctify life and get more out of the trail than Bill Craig. He was a deep thinker, a gifted veterinarian, a rugged and unbreakable man with the kindest heart and the purest motives.  He was a loving and devoted husband, father, and grandfather. Karen, Shalor and Melissa, Kellan, Nolan and Carter, were his world. They meant everything to him. I guess he had faults, but I don’t remember any of them.  There was o