Skip to main content

Christmas That Doesn't Come from a Store

I was out recently in the Christmas crowd shopping for my grandchildren. They don’t really need a thing. They have so much. They fortunately live within the amazing care of a dad and mom who adore and cherish and abundantly provide for them. I wanted to just package up some hugs and kisses and send those as my gifts. Wouldn’t that be enough? It would, for them. They would be perfectly fine with such gifts. But I followed the rest of the holiday legion to Target and elsewhere to lend my effort to our society’s commercial Christmas mania.

There is that line in Dr. Seuss’ famous “The Grinch That Stole Christmas” that nudges me this time of year: “Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store? What if Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!” 

Well, there’s an old fashioned idea for you. A sadly archaic thought buried beneath the nearest mall’s concrete foundation conveniently silenced far beyond the dazzling sights above--the “more” of Christmas as forgotten as the rest of Rudolph’s reindeer companions.

We’ll all get lost in the season’s holiday frenzy as we always do, fighting traffic and the crush of shoppers and buying stuff no one even needs and often don’t even want.

I have outlived the large family I grew up in which made Christmases past so endearing and enduring. My grandparents, celestial guardians in human form, left years ago though their love remains in me, always. My own parents, gone too, and with them Mom aproned in the kitchen cooking with love and Dad carving the turkey with strands of his thick grey hair dangling in his face. Images forever held in my vision. And my brother John, gone too, and the sound of his laughter. This is the part of aging we often never think about until we’re in it: the losses that come. The limits of time. The precariousness of health. The fragility of life. The fickleness of fate. It’s all in the landscape of our human pilgrimage and we experience it day by day.

Celebrations like Christmas are meant to soften the realities of our lives. Families gather. Meals are shared. Conversations are had. Parties are attended. Toasts are made. Laughter is heard. Music is played. Lights beam. And, if we’re not too hardened or cynical or too worn down by the tempting shallowness of it all, life seems for a brief respite almost kind.

Christian churches have their Advent wreaths and the hanging of the greens. Candles burn brightly and colorful banners broadcast peace and love, faith and hope. And if it’s all taken in the right spirit, if worshipers slow down enough to get the message, to ponder the mystery, to consider love—welcoming it, honoring it, practicing it—then perhaps the “more” of Christmas is found.

There is a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon that goes as follows:

“Calvin: This whole Santa Claus thing just doesn't make sense. Why all the secrecy? Why all the mystery? If the guy exists why doesn't he ever show himself and prove it? And if he doesn't exist what's the meaning of all this?
Hobbes: Dunno. Isn't this a religious holiday? 
Calvin: Yeah, but actually, I've got the same questions about God.” 

That little conversation is deeply important to consider in the midst of the Christmas hoopla.

Santa and the whole wonderment of Christmas delights can thrill children, if they are fortunate enough to have much of a Christmas. We seem to forget that many never do. And the whole church dynamic of Advent where shepherds see the star, and wise men gather, and Jesus is born—can be moving and instructive. But we forget that not everyone feels included in the church’s Christmas scenery or its story.

Long ago, when Christmas supposedly got started, the world was deeply in need of gifts of love. It is today as well. And here, in what politicians and patriots claim as Christian America, love is needed, too. Not sentimental holiday hogwash. Not lectures about US exceptionalism. Not divisive self-righteousness that wounds and alienates. Not religious grandstanding. Not indifference to racism and hate and war. But active love. Just actual, lived out, kindness and goodness and love.

Wouldn't that, this Christmas, be enough?


© 2014 Timothy Moody

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Made for Human Connection

There are words from Brandi Carlile’s song, “The Story,” that I might sing, and perhaps you, too. “All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many stories of where I've been And how I got to where I am But these stories don't mean anything When you've got no one to tell them to” You don’t have to be single or alone to feel the depth of those words. Someone in a longtime marriage or relationship might feel them, too. The voyage through life takes each one of us through an assortment of experiences. Some of them ennoble us. Some crush us. Some lift us beyond ourselves and carry us into the lives of those who need us. And some carry us to those we need. Some experiences are burdens. Others ease and encourage us. Some leave us baffled and unsure. Some build confidence within us and are so affirming that we grow in substance, in courage, in tenderness, and sympathy. As we age, the lines in our faces can represent the hurts we have not yet resolved. Or t

If I had five minutes to evacuate--what would I take with me?

If I was told there was a bomb in my building and I had five minutes to evacuate my apartment I’d grab a grocery bag and quickly toss these items into it: 1. A photo of my grandparents, Mom and Pop and me, when I was 15 years old. I learned what love is made of from them. I learned what it is to be kissed on and hugged in arms so tender they felt like God’s arms. I discovered self worth from those two angels in human flesh. Of all the people in my life, they were the ones who made me feel I counted. Honestly, whatever capacity I have to love others came from them. 2. A sentimental, dog-eared, stars in the margin copy of Pat Conroy’s, “The Prince of Tides.” It is a book I have read three times and often return to for its wisdom. It is a harsh, profoundly tragic novel, the story of a family so broken and tortured by such flawed and wounded people that it is sometimes difficult to turn the next page. And yet it is the story of such Herculean courage and endurance that you want

Remembering Dr. Bill Craig

In Memoriam  Dr. Bill Craig January 1, 2020 In the Hebrew Bible, we see from the life of Moses, and the Psalmist, Isaiah and others , concern for the problem of living rather than the problem of dying.   Their primary interest was not how to escape death, but rather, how to sanctify life. Bill modeled that kind of wisdom.  The brilliant novelist Louis L'Amour, who wrote bestselling books about the American West, what he called “frontier stories,” basically said the same thing. He wrote, “The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.” No one attempted to sanctify life and get more out of the trail than Bill Craig. He was a deep thinker, a gifted veterinarian, a rugged and unbreakable man with the kindest heart and the purest motives.  He was a loving and devoted husband, father, and grandfather. Karen, Shalor and Melissa, Kellan, Nolan and Carter, were his world. They meant everything to him. I guess he had faults, but I don’t remember any of them.  There was o