Skip to main content

I Want to Run a Rescue Shop

I have not been to church in a long while. For someone who spent so many years in the church it sometimes surprises me that it is no longer a vital part of my life.

A few years ago I would sometimes slip into the Cathedral Santuario de la Virgen de Guadalupe in downtown Dallas. It’s a beautiful, sacred space. There are daily masses both in English and Spanish. Inside the sanctuary is a large, life-like crucifix of Jesus and other smaller but elaborate sculptures of biblical scenes. The Cathedral was built in 1902 and has been through various renovations and is today a vibrant and popular place of worship for Catholics.

I have many issues with the Roman Catholic Church, and the institutional Church in general. And I have no interest whatsoever in the giant mega evangelical churches that remind me of convention centers or entertainment venues.

But there, in the quiet of the Cathedral, I have often felt something deeply spiritual stir within me.

For some time now, church has not been a place for me to go and pray, or get saved, or rev myself up for the week. I have always wanted church to be a place where, in the presence of burning candles and quiet thoughts, in surroundings where reverence is honored and the transcendent is celebrated, one could feel the nearness of God, or the Life Force, or Beauty or Love, or the Divine, and one’s thoughts would be directed toward wonder and an awareness of the holy, and one could be inspired to be more.

In that kind of setting, which I have felt at the Cathedral de Guadalupe, and years ago, in my post-graduate work, at the Mercy Center’s small chapel that looked out over Long Island Sound—in those settings, I have experienced love in my heart and a genuine care for the world we live in. There I have thought of Jesus and his life of grace and goodness. And I have left there wanting to be a better human being.

Isn’t that what church should be about?

Not politics. Not self-righteousness. Not feeling superior to others. Not getting caught up in judging people who do things we don’t do. Not hoping that going regularly we will be rewarded with health and prosperity. Not to boost our business or recruit clients. Not to escape in an afterlife. And not to ignore the hard realities of life and people that desperately need our acceptance and our attention.

As a minister, I used to love a little poem that said,
“Some want to live within the sound
Of church or chapel bell;
I want to run a rescue shop,
Within a yard of hell.”

My therapist recently asked me why, if I have such a social conscience and seem so concerned about people who are hurting, why am I not doing more about that. Why am I not a volunteer in a soup kitchen or working with agencies helping the homeless? It was a wise and devastating wake-up call to me. And something I am determined to work on.

I have people that I try to love and encourage, people who are lonely, or in need, emotionally distraught, or ill. But everyone should have that going on in their lives, helping support people they care about.

I want to do more.

Our society is often a cauldron of witches brew, boiling over and in danger of scalding all of us. Many already are suffering. Racial prejudice. Economic inequality. Obsessive fear of those different from us. Hate for blacks, gays, Muslims, Hispanics, and immigrant refugees. Police brutality held blameless. Homelessness. A dysfunctional and often corrupt criminal justice system. There are people forgotten in these messes. People left injured, broken, and in despair because of them. They need help.

What can I do? I don’t know. But I want to try.

Traditional church gives me little direction. But perhaps a visit to the Cathedral will give me insights and inspiration. Or maybe just an hour on a quiet park bench, away from the furious bike riders, the active children, the city noise; just a place to reflect on my world and find my place to be a tangible helping presence. Somehow, I need that. And, I want that.


© 2016 Timothy Moody

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Made for Human Connection

There are words from Brandi Carlile’s song, “The Story,” that I might sing, and perhaps you, too. “All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many stories of where I've been And how I got to where I am But these stories don't mean anything When you've got no one to tell them to” You don’t have to be single or alone to feel the depth of those words. Someone in a longtime marriage or relationship might feel them, too. The voyage through life takes each one of us through an assortment of experiences. Some of them ennoble us. Some crush us. Some lift us beyond ourselves and carry us into the lives of those who need us. And some carry us to those we need. Some experiences are burdens. Others ease and encourage us. Some leave us baffled and unsure. Some build confidence within us and are so affirming that we grow in substance, in courage, in tenderness, and sympathy. As we age, the lines in our faces can represent the hurts we have not yet resolved. Or t

If I had five minutes to evacuate--what would I take with me?

If I was told there was a bomb in my building and I had five minutes to evacuate my apartment I’d grab a grocery bag and quickly toss these items into it: 1. A photo of my grandparents, Mom and Pop and me, when I was 15 years old. I learned what love is made of from them. I learned what it is to be kissed on and hugged in arms so tender they felt like God’s arms. I discovered self worth from those two angels in human flesh. Of all the people in my life, they were the ones who made me feel I counted. Honestly, whatever capacity I have to love others came from them. 2. A sentimental, dog-eared, stars in the margin copy of Pat Conroy’s, “The Prince of Tides.” It is a book I have read three times and often return to for its wisdom. It is a harsh, profoundly tragic novel, the story of a family so broken and tortured by such flawed and wounded people that it is sometimes difficult to turn the next page. And yet it is the story of such Herculean courage and endurance that you want

Remembering Dr. Bill Craig

In Memoriam  Dr. Bill Craig January 1, 2020 In the Hebrew Bible, we see from the life of Moses, and the Psalmist, Isaiah and others , concern for the problem of living rather than the problem of dying.   Their primary interest was not how to escape death, but rather, how to sanctify life. Bill modeled that kind of wisdom.  The brilliant novelist Louis L'Amour, who wrote bestselling books about the American West, what he called “frontier stories,” basically said the same thing. He wrote, “The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.” No one attempted to sanctify life and get more out of the trail than Bill Craig. He was a deep thinker, a gifted veterinarian, a rugged and unbreakable man with the kindest heart and the purest motives.  He was a loving and devoted husband, father, and grandfather. Karen, Shalor and Melissa, Kellan, Nolan and Carter, were his world. They meant everything to him. I guess he had faults, but I don’t remember any of them.  There was o