Skip to main content

Is the Soul Solid, like Iron?

Mary Oliver has a beautiful little poem in which she asks:

“Is the soul solid, like iron?
or is it tender and breakable, like
the wings of a moth in the beak of the owl?”


It is both.

The soul, we are told by philosophers, theologians, and mystics, is our essence, the permanence of our true self. It is that part of us that lives beyond death. Or so we are taught by religion. Where exactly the soul exists beyond that, has of course, been long debated.

There are times in life when something deep within us is, as Mary Oliver says, solid as iron and we operate out of some sense of aliveness, confidence, and inner strength. It may be fleeting, but there when needed; or it may carry us through long periods of endurance when we build a sturdy self, confident and capable of our abilities and talents.

This is the work of the soul. This is a part of our spiritual development. This is what enables us to believe there are forces in life, loving and generous and mystical, that nurture and compel us toward growth and substance and maturity; that aide us in our longing to be authentic and caring, compassionate and humane.

Companionship feeds our soul. Intimacy. Laughter. Affection. Connection. Grace. Praise. Appreciation. Belief in us. Successes. Achievements. All of this lifts and affirms and settles us into feelings of worth, of aplomb, of poise and balance. It’s the stuff that makes us glad we are here. It urges us on in the pursuance of doing good.

“Love,” wrote Shakespeare, “is holy.” Yes, it is. So powerful. It is what creates iron in the soul. And it comes to us in surprising and routine and dependable ways, from people and pets, from nature and nurture, from work and leisure, from food and drink, from things as simple as rest and as majestic as the ocean. All of that touches us and humanizes us. And the soul cannot progress without it.

But the soul does have its vulnerabilities. It can be tender and breakable. Even iron can be melted or broken under severe circumstances. The soul, solid like iron, can be compromised, too.

Last year Ingrid did not make the front row of girls on the dance team to perform at Homecoming. She was moved to the back row where the girls with lesser talent were placed. She called me that evening in tears. We talked a while and she grew calm. Later, I called back to check on her. Her voice was quiet but still full of tears. I did my best to reassure her, to send my love through the phone, to reach her with gentle words. But when the soul is wounded, words don’t help much. I got in my car and drove to the house. It was late and I figured everyone was in bed but I had to be there. She, her mom, and her grandmother answered the door. Ingrid fell into my arms, saying, “Oh Poppy, why are you here?” And holding her tight I said, “I’m here for you, sweetie. I wanted to be sure you were okay.” She sighed deeply and would not let go. Just my presence carried the assurance of how much she is loved.

When life hurts us; when death comes unannounced and takes someone we love; when the bottom falls out of our marriage and we crumble in guilt and shame and bewilderment; when we lose our job; when income fails to cover our basic needs and we panic about tomorrow; when our children are caught in addiction or some fatal disease; when our parents can’t accept who we are; when friends betray us—our soul turns tender and breakable.

This is when love must somehow reach us, must make its presence known. That is how we endure, and ripen, and develop and grow strong.

Love does not ask us to be something we are not, but to be more fully who we are. That’s how we survive. It is all a part of the work of the soul.

By the way, Ingrid worked harder on her dance routines. Last fall she auditioned for the Belles Dancers, the more advanced dance group in the high school, and she was accepted. Things don't always work out, but love impels us to try, and sometimes, we surprise ourselves.


© 2017 Timothy Moody

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Made for Human Connection

There are words from Brandi Carlile’s song, “The Story,” that I might sing, and perhaps you, too. “All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many stories of where I've been And how I got to where I am But these stories don't mean anything When you've got no one to tell them to” You don’t have to be single or alone to feel the depth of those words. Someone in a longtime marriage or relationship might feel them, too. The voyage through life takes each one of us through an assortment of experiences. Some of them ennoble us. Some crush us. Some lift us beyond ourselves and carry us into the lives of those who need us. And some carry us to those we need. Some experiences are burdens. Others ease and encourage us. Some leave us baffled and unsure. Some build confidence within us and are so affirming that we grow in substance, in courage, in tenderness, and sympathy. As we age, the lines in our faces can represent the hurts we have not yet resolved. Or t

Remembering Dr. Bill Craig

In Memoriam  Dr. Bill Craig January 1, 2020 In the Hebrew Bible, we see from the life of Moses, and the Psalmist, Isaiah and others , concern for the problem of living rather than the problem of dying.   Their primary interest was not how to escape death, but rather, how to sanctify life. Bill modeled that kind of wisdom.  The brilliant novelist Louis L'Amour, who wrote bestselling books about the American West, what he called “frontier stories,” basically said the same thing. He wrote, “The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.” No one attempted to sanctify life and get more out of the trail than Bill Craig. He was a deep thinker, a gifted veterinarian, a rugged and unbreakable man with the kindest heart and the purest motives.  He was a loving and devoted husband, father, and grandfather. Karen, Shalor and Melissa, Kellan, Nolan and Carter, were his world. They meant everything to him. I guess he had faults, but I don’t remember any of them.  There was o

If I had five minutes to evacuate--what would I take with me?

If I was told there was a bomb in my building and I had five minutes to evacuate my apartment I’d grab a grocery bag and quickly toss these items into it: 1. A photo of my grandparents, Mom and Pop and me, when I was 15 years old. I learned what love is made of from them. I learned what it is to be kissed on and hugged in arms so tender they felt like God’s arms. I discovered self worth from those two angels in human flesh. Of all the people in my life, they were the ones who made me feel I counted. Honestly, whatever capacity I have to love others came from them. 2. A sentimental, dog-eared, stars in the margin copy of Pat Conroy’s, “The Prince of Tides.” It is a book I have read three times and often return to for its wisdom. It is a harsh, profoundly tragic novel, the story of a family so broken and tortured by such flawed and wounded people that it is sometimes difficult to turn the next page. And yet it is the story of such Herculean courage and endurance that you want