Skip to main content

My Experience with the Flu

I have been out of pocket a while because I was battling Influenza B, one of the strains of the flu virus that has been plaguing the nation for months now.

The flu brings with it a variety of nasty irritations. Fever, chills, headache, sore throat, a hacking cough, weakness, and just a general feeling of, Lord, please help me!

The strains this year have included additional problems such as strep throat, pneumonia, and in some cases, sepsis, a sometimes deadly collection of bacteria and toxins in the bloodstream. My worse symptoms were a searing sore throat from two small ulcers caused by the flu virus and an accompanying ear and neck ache.

I felt very fortunate to have Ingrid and Claudia bringing me soups and good things to eat and making sure I was still alive. My sons, Caleb and Luke, kept up with me, offering to come to my rescue if I needed them. I had great friends from Hamilton checking on me daily. And I had coworkers who called to see if I was faking or really sick. I coughed for them.

On my first trip to the doctor, I sat in the waiting room surrounded by affliction. People were coughing. And not just a little polite cough, but hacking, loud, uncontrolled convulsive sorts of coughs. A couple of people were wearing surgical masks. No one felt like talking. Most had their heads down in obvious misery. A teenage girl wrapped in a bulky coat looked wearily into her cell phone but she wasn’t texting or even browsing. Just staring at it, frozen in boring discomfort.

A grandmother and her little granddaughter came in. The little girl was maybe 7 or 8. Her face was flushed and she had a croupy cough. After they checked in at the desk and got settled in their seats the grandmother tried to get the child to put on a mask. She held it for a while, then put it to her nose, then put it down. She didn’t quite see the necessity. Meanwhile, grandmother was on the cell talking to mom. I could hear her say the school had called and said the little girl had a fever and cough and needed to be picked up. So I guess the grandmother drove to school and got her and then brought her to the doctor’s office. She was so sweet to her granddaughter, talking softly to her, moving her hair out of her face, holding her close. The little girl was restless and chatty. I couldn’t understand everything but she was so cute, although I could see she didn’t feel well.

I thought of all the people who have no one to care for them when they are ill. Those homeless souls on the streets, fighting cold and the elements while suffering a fever, chills, and the agonies of the flu or pneumonia or sepsis.

I thought of the elderly, alone in their homes, or abandoned in a nursing center with no family. People need comforting when they are ill. Most of us want a certain amount of privacy, not hovering, and endless questions, but just to be cared for. Someone to put their hand on our head or sit beside us for a moment. There is warmth in that, a kind of human luxury we all need.

When I was a boy in grade school I often got tonsillitis. I’m not sure why no one else in the family seemed to get it. But I’ve always been vulnerable to a sore throat. I remember my maternal grandparents lived down the street from us. I adored them. What loving people they were. I hated swallowing capsules of antibiotics when I got sick so my grandmother would come to the house and break open the capsules and mix the contents into a spoon of warm water, put a little sugar in it, and give it to me. The rest of the family looked on with a kind of sniffing, Really?? But I loved that my grandmother pampered me that way. I thought of her last week when I was piled on the sofa, my throat throbbing from ulcers, and my body aching from the flu.

Sickness is a part of life, though most of us think of it as some kind of shortcoming. We forget how mortal our bodies are, in spite of their remarkable durability. We may get angry when we are ill, blaming our body for letting us down. Or we may stress over being sick to the point we delay our natural ability to recover.

But a period of illness can be transformative, reminding us of the magnificence of good health, the beautiful support of family and friends when health fails, and the opportunity to rest our tired bodies and let them heal. Writer Susan Sontag called illness “the night side of life, a more onerous citizenship.” She held that we all have a dual citizenship, one in the land of the well, and one in the land of the sick. And though we all prefer to stay in the first, we are all obligated “to identify ourselves with the citizens of that other place.”

Our illnesses can deepen our humanity, helping us be better caretakers of ourselves, and others.


© 2018 Timothy Moody

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Made for Human Connection

There are words from Brandi Carlile’s song, “The Story,” that I might sing, and perhaps you, too. “All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many stories of where I've been And how I got to where I am But these stories don't mean anything When you've got no one to tell them to” You don’t have to be single or alone to feel the depth of those words. Someone in a longtime marriage or relationship might feel them, too. The voyage through life takes each one of us through an assortment of experiences. Some of them ennoble us. Some crush us. Some lift us beyond ourselves and carry us into the lives of those who need us. And some carry us to those we need. Some experiences are burdens. Others ease and encourage us. Some leave us baffled and unsure. Some build confidence within us and are so affirming that we grow in substance, in courage, in tenderness, and sympathy. As we age, the lines in our faces can represent the hurts we have not yet resolved. Or t

If I had five minutes to evacuate--what would I take with me?

If I was told there was a bomb in my building and I had five minutes to evacuate my apartment I’d grab a grocery bag and quickly toss these items into it: 1. A photo of my grandparents, Mom and Pop and me, when I was 15 years old. I learned what love is made of from them. I learned what it is to be kissed on and hugged in arms so tender they felt like God’s arms. I discovered self worth from those two angels in human flesh. Of all the people in my life, they were the ones who made me feel I counted. Honestly, whatever capacity I have to love others came from them. 2. A sentimental, dog-eared, stars in the margin copy of Pat Conroy’s, “The Prince of Tides.” It is a book I have read three times and often return to for its wisdom. It is a harsh, profoundly tragic novel, the story of a family so broken and tortured by such flawed and wounded people that it is sometimes difficult to turn the next page. And yet it is the story of such Herculean courage and endurance that you want

Do we need a new country?

Have you seen the elaborate, stylish, opulent television commercial for Cartier? The original commercial seemed to go on forever, a full three minutes. They have shortened it now, but it still drips with ostentatiousness. It is conspicuously pretentious in spite of the beautiful music and the sleek panther and the stunning scenery and the elegant model dressed in a striking red gown. The commercial takes the viewer through an amazing montage of dreamy landscapes and famous cities and spectacular stunts while moving past a giant expensive watch and finally to a glittering diamond bracelet modeled by the woman in red. Each time I see it I keep wondering who the target audience is. It seems to be such an over the top expression of unbridled greed and materialism gone ape. In a time when much of the world is starving and millions are still out of work here at home it seems bizarre that Cartier would spend what has to be millions on a television commercial celebrating 165 years in