Skip to main content

A Part of Being Human is Feeling the Pain of Others

I saw him as I pumped gas in my car at the Shell Station. It was hot outside and he was sitting in the shade in front of the convenience store. An older man, thin, African American, with a scruffy two or three-day growth of white stubble and shaggy salt and pepper hair. As I walked into the convenience store to get a soft drink he smiled at me with uneven teeth. There was a warmth in his smile. He didn’t ask for anything. But I knew he was there to accept any change anyone might give him.

I returned to my air-conditioned car and stared at him for a minute. As I drove out I went around to where he was and rolled down my window. I motioned for him to come over. He slowly got up and walked to my car. “Yes sir?” he said. I handed him some cash and said, “What is your name, friend?“ He said, “Carl.” I said, “You have a good day, Carl.” He smiled and put his hands together and bowed and said, “Oh, God bless you, sir. God bless you.”

I don’t know his situation. But whatever it is I felt an urge to connect with him in some small way. I wanted to know his name. A name carries our identity. It’s the one thing we own that is ours. When others say it, it means we have been noticed.

I thought how difficult it would be at my age to sit in the summer heat outside, with few resources, perhaps hungry, or in poor health, as Carl seemed to be, and have to wait until someone offered me some coins. How humiliating to have to keep from outright begging for something, just quietly hoping a stranger might be willing to let go of their loose change or maybe a dollar and give it to me.

I know there are con men out there, guys with their tattered signs, claiming to be vets, asking for a handout. Others are genuinely needy. Some can barely stand, already drunk or high, just waiting for a few bucks to keep the buzz going.

I see them all the time. Women, too. People broken by life. Shamed and pathetic. Their bodies ravaged by alcohol abuse, or drug addiction, or illicit sex, or all those combined.

A part of being human is feeling the pain of others and trying in some tangible way to relieve it if only for a moment.

The Talmud tells of a young rabbi in training who had decided to spend the day reciting the Psalms. Late into the afternoon a messenger came and told him the senior Rabbi wanted to see him, to come quickly. He told the messenger he would go as soon as he finished the Psalms. When he finally saw the Rabbi, he was asked why he delayed so long. The student said he had been devoted to reciting the Psalms. The Rabbi said he had called him to deliver money to a poor family. Then he said, “Psalms can be sung by angels, but only humans can help the poor.”

It is a good lesson.

We often put what we think are more lofty things ahead of the simple practical ones. And we are often guilty of leaving the care of the needy to God, or the church, or angels. I have to remind myself of this all the time and make amends.

It’s easy to think the poor, the alcoholic, the vagrant, those caught in drug addiction are not my concern, that they deserve whatever circumstances they are in, and that I have more important things to do than involve myself with them, either with my time or my money.

But that is to miss my contribution as a human being. We are here to help each other.

Henri Nouwen was a Dutch writer and theologian. In his book, “Here and Now,” he writes, “The poor have a mission to the rich, the people of color have a mission to the whites, the handicapped have a mission to the physically well, the gays have a mission to the straight, the dying have a mission to the living.”

What is that mission? To help us give them their dignity, and to help us keep our own. To help us see they are in our human family, where we belong with them.

“God bless you, sir,” Carl, with a rugged face and a sweet smile, said. I didn’t hear that as a tired cliché. I heard it as the call of the heart, the voice of our collective humanity, the appreciation of one whose name had been spoken, whose presence had been validated.


© 2018 Timothy Moody

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Made for Human Connection

There are words from Brandi Carlile’s song, “The Story,” that I might sing, and perhaps you, too. “All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many stories of where I've been And how I got to where I am But these stories don't mean anything When you've got no one to tell them to” You don’t have to be single or alone to feel the depth of those words. Someone in a longtime marriage or relationship might feel them, too. The voyage through life takes each one of us through an assortment of experiences. Some of them ennoble us. Some crush us. Some lift us beyond ourselves and carry us into the lives of those who need us. And some carry us to those we need. Some experiences are burdens. Others ease and encourage us. Some leave us baffled and unsure. Some build confidence within us and are so affirming that we grow in substance, in courage, in tenderness, and sympathy. As we age, the lines in our faces can represent the hurts we have not yet resolved. Or t

If I had five minutes to evacuate--what would I take with me?

If I was told there was a bomb in my building and I had five minutes to evacuate my apartment I’d grab a grocery bag and quickly toss these items into it: 1. A photo of my grandparents, Mom and Pop and me, when I was 15 years old. I learned what love is made of from them. I learned what it is to be kissed on and hugged in arms so tender they felt like God’s arms. I discovered self worth from those two angels in human flesh. Of all the people in my life, they were the ones who made me feel I counted. Honestly, whatever capacity I have to love others came from them. 2. A sentimental, dog-eared, stars in the margin copy of Pat Conroy’s, “The Prince of Tides.” It is a book I have read three times and often return to for its wisdom. It is a harsh, profoundly tragic novel, the story of a family so broken and tortured by such flawed and wounded people that it is sometimes difficult to turn the next page. And yet it is the story of such Herculean courage and endurance that you want

Do we need a new country?

Have you seen the elaborate, stylish, opulent television commercial for Cartier? The original commercial seemed to go on forever, a full three minutes. They have shortened it now, but it still drips with ostentatiousness. It is conspicuously pretentious in spite of the beautiful music and the sleek panther and the stunning scenery and the elegant model dressed in a striking red gown. The commercial takes the viewer through an amazing montage of dreamy landscapes and famous cities and spectacular stunts while moving past a giant expensive watch and finally to a glittering diamond bracelet modeled by the woman in red. Each time I see it I keep wondering who the target audience is. It seems to be such an over the top expression of unbridled greed and materialism gone ape. In a time when much of the world is starving and millions are still out of work here at home it seems bizarre that Cartier would spend what has to be millions on a television commercial celebrating 165 years in