Skip to main content

Dear Conservative Friends

Dear Conservative Friends,

I’m torn. Some of you I have known for years. Some of you are close friends, people I love and admire and care about. So it makes it difficult for me to understand your politics sometimes and your devotion to president Trump, your tolerance of his divisive partisanship, your silence regarding his often hurtful comments, and your acceptance of his merry clan of White House associates and Congressional chums many of whom are clearly corrupt and many others who seem hell bent on making America one race (white of course), one religion (Fundamentalist Christian), one economy (for the wealthy), one issue (the 2nd Amendment), and one truth (theirs).

Now, I’m sure you can turn that all around and say something similar to me about Democrats or liberals or others you strenuously disagree with or dislike. Understood.

But I’m honestly concerned about the way things seem to be going in the country. Yes, liberals and moderates have often been lousy at governing, too. They have often been assholes—elitist, snobbish, pretentious, and just as greedy as the other party. They talk nicer, but, it’s actions that matter. And for the last several years nice talk got us nowhere.

They lost me when they sabotaged Bernie Sanders and cheated their way to their own revered candidate that they were always going to go up against Trump with no matter what. They were stunned, shocked when she lost and still haven’t figured out the clear and obvious reasons why. I haven’t the interest to tell them anymore.

So, I’m saying to you, I do at least understand why you never ever want to see a Democrat in the White House.

For myself, I think there may be some good ones out there, and if they ever get respected enough by their own party to be fully supported, then I might join them again. I also believe there are talented and rational Republicans out there, somewhere, men and women with integrity and  values, and they, too, need to be supported. 

I also understand that you have certain historical issues you want to hold on to. I appreciate that. I suspect, too, that many of you worry that we white people are becoming a minority, which we are, and that people of color may take over the country soon and then where will we be?

Well, hopefully, we won’t be where we put them for the last 200 years in this country. Under our feet. Kept out of any hope of economic fairness or freedom. Having their culture disparaged. Being marginalized because of their color. Relegating them to a cruel otherness. I know that may be annoying, but indulge me and at least consider those things. They are real. They did and do happen.

I have a feeling when they have control, and they ultimately will, minorities will be much better to us than we have ever been to them. Just my opinion.

Novelist Robert Heinlein, who was a terrific writer and wisely understood human nature, once wrote, “The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed.”

We may be getting close to proving him wrong.

Facebook and Twitter have in some ways become social media garbage cans filled with the rotting refuse of our national divisions and personal offenses. Both platforms tempt us to hold nothing back, to write things we would never say to another person’s face. I’m guilty. And it shames me.

It’s one thing to defend your point of view with an intelligent or at least thoughtful response. It’s something else to just unload and attack. Which is too often the response of social media.

I don’t have any solutions. I had some things I thought might keep us from offending and hurting each other. But in the end, they didn’t. The divisions seem too deep. The anger too close to the surface.

But I want to keep trying, my conservative friends. Let’s meet for a drink and be nice to each other. And please, think about what is really happening to people, from all perspectives, here and around the world because of our American politics and our destructive social divisions. It’s not pretty. And I’m afraid, without new leadership from somewhere non-partisan, it will only get worse.

Be well,

Tim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Made for Human Connection

There are words from Brandi Carlile’s song, “The Story,” that I might sing, and perhaps you, too. “All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many stories of where I've been And how I got to where I am But these stories don't mean anything When you've got no one to tell them to” You don’t have to be single or alone to feel the depth of those words. Someone in a longtime marriage or relationship might feel them, too. The voyage through life takes each one of us through an assortment of experiences. Some of them ennoble us. Some crush us. Some lift us beyond ourselves and carry us into the lives of those who need us. And some carry us to those we need. Some experiences are burdens. Others ease and encourage us. Some leave us baffled and unsure. Some build confidence within us and are so affirming that we grow in substance, in courage, in tenderness, and sympathy. As we age, the lines in our faces can represent the hurts we have not yet resolved. Or t

If I had five minutes to evacuate--what would I take with me?

If I was told there was a bomb in my building and I had five minutes to evacuate my apartment I’d grab a grocery bag and quickly toss these items into it: 1. A photo of my grandparents, Mom and Pop and me, when I was 15 years old. I learned what love is made of from them. I learned what it is to be kissed on and hugged in arms so tender they felt like God’s arms. I discovered self worth from those two angels in human flesh. Of all the people in my life, they were the ones who made me feel I counted. Honestly, whatever capacity I have to love others came from them. 2. A sentimental, dog-eared, stars in the margin copy of Pat Conroy’s, “The Prince of Tides.” It is a book I have read three times and often return to for its wisdom. It is a harsh, profoundly tragic novel, the story of a family so broken and tortured by such flawed and wounded people that it is sometimes difficult to turn the next page. And yet it is the story of such Herculean courage and endurance that you want

Remembering Dr. Bill Craig

In Memoriam  Dr. Bill Craig January 1, 2020 In the Hebrew Bible, we see from the life of Moses, and the Psalmist, Isaiah and others , concern for the problem of living rather than the problem of dying.   Their primary interest was not how to escape death, but rather, how to sanctify life. Bill modeled that kind of wisdom.  The brilliant novelist Louis L'Amour, who wrote bestselling books about the American West, what he called “frontier stories,” basically said the same thing. He wrote, “The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.” No one attempted to sanctify life and get more out of the trail than Bill Craig. He was a deep thinker, a gifted veterinarian, a rugged and unbreakable man with the kindest heart and the purest motives.  He was a loving and devoted husband, father, and grandfather. Karen, Shalor and Melissa, Kellan, Nolan and Carter, were his world. They meant everything to him. I guess he had faults, but I don’t remember any of them.  There was o