Skip to main content

Honoring the Quiet


I recently spent a week house sitting and caring for my son’s dogs while he and his bride were on their honeymoon.
They live on a ranch in southeastern Oklahoma. Luke (my son) manages the property there and the livestock. It’s a beautiful, peaceful area surrounded by thick trees and steep hills with a vast set of trails Luke has restored or created inside the brush and timber.
There are deer, and turkeys, wild hogs, and fish in several ponds.
Tawna (my new daughter-in-law) owns a barbershop a few miles away with customers from all around. Luke and Tawna are amazing.
I spent over a week there looking over things, mostly just playing with the dogs and watching the rain. A ranch hand did all the chores that needed doing.
I watched the news and a movie or two, read some, did a little writing, ate like a king, and enjoyed the quiet, the fresh air, the sounds of rustling leaves in the breeze, and the soft pelting of rain on the roof.
The dogs—Gus, Maggie, and Trapper—were my only companions, other than sharing a few beers with the ranch hand one afternoon. The dogs are like children, playful and jealous and fun. They slept near me and protected me.
The Oklahoma humorist, Will Rogers, once said, “If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
I do, too.
I drove one afternoon into town some 30 miles away and went to Walmart. The people I saw are a hardy crowd. They are not at all pretentious or fake or the least bit interested in putting on any kind of airs. Rural people are some of the most authentic people I know. And in many ways, they inspire me. They are good neighbors. They are people of faith. They are loyal to their beliefs. They work hard jobs. They care for their families. They get things done.
Life in the city often blinds me to what is truly real, what matters, what gives our existence some sense of meaning and purpose. America is made up of people with big hearts. They are everywhere: in the country, in the suburbs, in raw urban enclaves, in fancy buildings, in the country club crowd, in farmers and ranchers, in store clerks and physicians, in teachers and police officers.
City life has its delights, its conveniences, its art and culture, theater and concerts, and every kind of eating establishment imaginable. But there is a hard shell to much of it. There is often anonymity, aloneness, indifference, and distance between people.
Country life has its problems, too. There are no perfect places on earth. There are some real paradises, some stunning awestriking places. But as for the people, we’re all a bit screwed up in our own way, we’re all thoroughly human, and we are what makes a place whatever the setting, pleasant and meaningful, or adversarial and cheerless.
And yet, on the way to the ranch, I found myself in my usual hectic pace, cursing slow drivers and rushing without any legitimate reason to do so. What was the hurry? I have no idea. I’m afraid it’s a habit of city life.
Once on the ranch, in the company of the dogs, surrounded by grazing cattle and loping trees, I found the old calm, the sweet feeling of accord, of no longer hastening to arrive, but just being still and honoring the quiet without and within.
© 2018 Timothy Moody

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We are Made for Human Connection

There are words from Brandi Carlile’s song, “The Story,” that I might sing, and perhaps you, too. “All of these lines across my face Tell you the story of who I am So many stories of where I've been And how I got to where I am But these stories don't mean anything When you've got no one to tell them to” You don’t have to be single or alone to feel the depth of those words. Someone in a longtime marriage or relationship might feel them, too. The voyage through life takes each one of us through an assortment of experiences. Some of them ennoble us. Some crush us. Some lift us beyond ourselves and carry us into the lives of those who need us. And some carry us to those we need. Some experiences are burdens. Others ease and encourage us. Some leave us baffled and unsure. Some build confidence within us and are so affirming that we grow in substance, in courage, in tenderness, and sympathy. As we age, the lines in our faces can represent the hurts we have not yet resolved. Or t

If I had five minutes to evacuate--what would I take with me?

If I was told there was a bomb in my building and I had five minutes to evacuate my apartment I’d grab a grocery bag and quickly toss these items into it: 1. A photo of my grandparents, Mom and Pop and me, when I was 15 years old. I learned what love is made of from them. I learned what it is to be kissed on and hugged in arms so tender they felt like God’s arms. I discovered self worth from those two angels in human flesh. Of all the people in my life, they were the ones who made me feel I counted. Honestly, whatever capacity I have to love others came from them. 2. A sentimental, dog-eared, stars in the margin copy of Pat Conroy’s, “The Prince of Tides.” It is a book I have read three times and often return to for its wisdom. It is a harsh, profoundly tragic novel, the story of a family so broken and tortured by such flawed and wounded people that it is sometimes difficult to turn the next page. And yet it is the story of such Herculean courage and endurance that you want

Do we need a new country?

Have you seen the elaborate, stylish, opulent television commercial for Cartier? The original commercial seemed to go on forever, a full three minutes. They have shortened it now, but it still drips with ostentatiousness. It is conspicuously pretentious in spite of the beautiful music and the sleek panther and the stunning scenery and the elegant model dressed in a striking red gown. The commercial takes the viewer through an amazing montage of dreamy landscapes and famous cities and spectacular stunts while moving past a giant expensive watch and finally to a glittering diamond bracelet modeled by the woman in red. Each time I see it I keep wondering who the target audience is. It seems to be such an over the top expression of unbridled greed and materialism gone ape. In a time when much of the world is starving and millions are still out of work here at home it seems bizarre that Cartier would spend what has to be millions on a television commercial celebrating 165 years in